Comprehensive travel insurance
Comprehensive travel insurance is the highest level of cover you can buy, or as we like to name it "the daddy of insurance!" It provides extensive cover for people travelling overseas for their holidays. Phew!
The sooner you buy your comprehensive travel insurance policy the better. Your cancellation benefits start immediately from the moment you buy your policy. So if you need to cancel your trip or you are delayed, you will be covered. Remember that your actual cover commences when you leave your home in Australia and ends when you return.
Typical features of a comprehensive travel insurance policy include:
- Overseas emergency medical assistance: Medical expenses for injury or illness including hospital stays, surgery, dental, prescription drugs, doctor and dentist office visits
- Cancellation fees: The cost of rearranging or cancelling your journey because of unforeseen circumstances such as illness, accidents and extreme weather conditions
- Luggage cover: Loss, theft or damage to luggage and personal items
- Luggage delay expenses: If your luggage is delayed or misplaced (for more than specified time) you'll be covered for any essential items of clothing and other personal items you buy, before it is returned to you
- Travel delays: Accommodation expenses if your scheduled transport is delayed over 6 hours or there abouts
- Personal liability: Cover in the event that you are found to be legally liable for accidental injury or damage you may have caused to another person or their property
- Rental vehicle excess: Cover for the excess payment on your rental vehicle’s insurance if the car you are driving is involved in an accident or is stolen
- Additional expenses: Cover for additional travel and accommodation expenses if you cannot travel because of an injury or sickness
- Hospital Cash Allowance: A daily allowance if you are hospitalised overseas (allowance will start after a specified period of time spent in hospital)
- Loss of Income: If you are injured overseas and cannot work when you return home, you are covered for a weekly loss of income benefit
- Permanent Disability: If you are injured on your trip and within 12 months of the date of the accident you permanently lose sight in one or both eyes, or one or more limbs, you are covered for a permanent disability benefit.
Other levels of cover
Want to buy cheaper travel insurance? If you’d prefer there are more basic policies available that typically only cover medical expenses and personal liability. A few also offer some small luggage and personal effects cover.
Do you travel more than once a year? You may benefit from an annual multi-trip travel insurance policy which will cover you for all international and domestic trips in a year.
Remember that it’s important with any policy to always read the insurers pds to fully understand the full list of features, benefit limits and terms and conditions that apply.
Regardless of whether you travel regularly or are planning the trip of a life time, travel is unpredictable and you can’t always ensure a smooth sailing trip.
Comprehensive travel insurance gives you the freedom to focus on your holiday and helps you recover from any potential holiday hurdles.
Category: Travel Insurance