Car Hire Excess Insurance
Put simply, if you hire a car and it gets damaged or stolen, the ‘Excess’ (sometimes called the ‘Deductible’) is the amount of money you have to pay the rental company upon returning the vehicle.
What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?
Car hire excess insurance is an optional insurance policy, which protects you against any excess charges you may incur should your hire car become damaged or stolen.
Other terms commonly used to describe car hire excess insurance include excess insurance, excess waiver insurance and Super CDW.
How it works:
Let’s say you hire a car and the vehicle comes with standard car hire insurance included (referred to as the collision damage waiver or loss damage waiver). As is the case with most personal motor insurance policies, it’s likely that you’ll still be liable to pay an excess before the rental company cover the rest of the cost. This means that you could be liable to pay hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds if anything happens to the hire car, regardless of whether it was your fault or not, should this insurance not be in place.
By buying car hire excess insurance from iCarhireinsurance.com, you’ll be covered against excess charges of up to £6,000. What’s more, our policies also cover vulnerable parts of the vehicle often excluded from standard rental company policies, such as tyres, windscreen, roof and undercarriage.
What are my options when buying Excess Insurance?
- Choose not to purchase
- Car hire excess insurance is an optional cover so you can choose not to purchase it if you’re happy to take the risk. However, please be aware that these charges can be as much as £2,500 depending on where you’re travelling and the rental company you use.
- Buy from the rental company
- The excess waiver offered at the rental desk is often more expensive than stand-alone alternatives and are often less comprehensive. Research conducted by iCarhireinsurance.com in 2015 found that costs for cover at the rental desk vary from £5 to £25 a day. What’s more, not all waivers sold by rental companies are zero excess, which means you could still be charged even with their cover in place.
- Buy from iCarhireinsurance.com
- iCarhireinsurance.com policies start at just £2.99 per day and £37.99 for an annual policy. Our policies are accepted at rental locations worldwide and our annual policies can be used for as many trips as you like across the year. What’s more, our policies are ZERO excess policies - you simply pay for the policy and that’s that!
- To get a quote and buy a policy, simply click here!
PLEASE NOTE: The rental company may require you to leave a deposit or provide credit card details before they hand over the vehicle if you decline their cover – so please ensure you have funds available for this before collecting the car.
What makes iCarhireinsurance.com industry leaders?
We’re one of the first in the industry to be able to offer European excess insurance to residents Worldwide! So whether you’re a US resident on vacation, or an Australian business traveller – we’ve got you covered!*
We’re also the first car hire insurance provider to allow customers to submit claims fully online – making the process faster, simpler and more secure.
For additional information on the above please visit our FAQ’s section or visit our contact centre to speak to a member of the team.
* Residents outside the EEA are eligible to purchase European policies only.
Category: Auto Insurance